Sunday, April 19, 2009

Yes Really Means "I Don't Know But I Will Say Yes Because I Think It Is What You Want To Hear"

It's been just over three weeks since my arrival in Hyderabad. In some ways, it feels like a few months have passed, but when I look over at the couple of boxes that still need to be unpacked, I'm reminded of the fact that I really just got here.

Between the work schedule, the shopping for home furnishings, the social life and a flakey internet connection, I've managed to go three weeks without updating the blog. A lot has happened, but I'll try to stick to the highlights (or low-lights). We're alive and well, and we are adjusting rather quickly to a place that is very different from home.

I think one of the more valuable lessons we've learned so far is that being an educated consumer is not a luxury but a requirement here. If you don't know exactly what you want, you won't get it; at least not on the first try. When you ask a question like, "Will this DVD player play US DVD's?", the response you get 9 out of 10 times is, "Yes". It doesn't matter if this is really the case or not. This problem is compounded with the fact that there is a zero return policy. Once the sale is made, it is pretty much impossible to undo it and get your money back. If you are lucky, you can exchange what you have for what you really needed. Even this requires you to first be unpleasant enough to make the person you are dealing with uncomfortable enough to want to help you, just so you will stop harassing them.

On a more positive note, I now know that it is possible for two guys to deliver a water dispenser and a 32" flat panel TV on a motorcycle. Yes, that's one motorcycle. What's even more amazing is that both devices worked when we plugged them in!!

I hope things are going well for everyone back in the states. I'll blog again soon, but until then, have a great week.

Be good,

-TJS


No comments:

Post a Comment